Monday, April 20, 2009

The power of the tongue

As the boys get older, and as their hearing seems to magically disappear at times (lol).. I've noticed myself raising my voice more often. I realize I am the parent, and at times to get 3 kids attention, your voice has to be raised above the madness and and fun and I have to make it over their noise level. I was really reminded tonight (by an episode of Little People Big World...kinda funny that a great TV show actually shows Amy making Jacob look up verses in the bible about the power of the tongue because he got in trouble for running his mouth... also what a great way to discipline, yet teach the word to them at the same time!) Anyway, a verse that was really brought up into my spirit was the verse that says : "The power of life and death is in the tongue" Proverbs 18:21 We have the ability to speak life or death over our kids, our husbands, our friends, people we meet in the community... such a small small part of our body, yet no where else does it say that the power of life and death is in ANYTHING but the tongue. In James (1:26)it also says: "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless" which pretty much says to me that I can claim to love Jesus all I want, but without a tight rein on my tongue, my religion is worthless... if I cannot keep my tongue and LOVE unconditionally and not always say what may come to my lips ...which isnt always nice ;) I can make my religion seem worthless. Why would anyone want to follow my Jesus if I cut them to pieces with my words.

As a mommy, it seems so easy to watch our mouths with them around.. to try to not speak to harshly, to try to speak words of encouragement to them... now with my husband, that can be a totally different story... he gets it worse than anybody else because I seem to unload on him. I was quite nicely reminded by the Lord that respect goes to every living being... not just the one's I feel like giving it to at that moment. I must say, I have a lot to work on =)~ Pray for me!

No comments: