Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Reunion Heart

I can still remember the day my momma and I were shopping together. This was probably about 4 years ago. We stopped at one of my favorite stores in the world, Family Christian Bookstore in Joliet (this is when we still lived up there). I still remember her telling me to come look at this necklace she found and the poem that went along with it. The necklace is a very simple looking silver necklace with a heart pendant, but in the heart there is a tear drop hole in it. It's called The Reunion Heart. My mom actually had tears coming down her face and said how much she loved this piece of jewelry (and it was NOT expensive at all!). She said it made her think of my daddy who went to heaven two weeks before I was born because of a drunk driver. Momma had my older brother Randy who had just turned 1 on October 22, 1971.. and she was 9 months pregnant with me when my daddy was driving home from work around midnight and was clipped on the rear end of his car by the drunk driver and his car ended up wrapped around a tree. This was October 26, 1971.



For Christmas I told my sister Leslie about the necklace mom wanted. I knew she would not be expecting it, especially from my sister, momma had no idea that Leslie even knew about the necklace. It wanted it to be a total shock to her!!! This is what the poem was that went with it:

The Reunion Heart

Since Heaven has become your home
I sometimes feel I’m so alone;
and though we now are far apart
you hold a big piece of my heart.

I never knew how much I’d grieve
when it was time for you to leave,
or just how much my heart would ache
from that one fragment you would take.

God lets this tender hole remain
reminding me we’ll meet again,
and one day all the pain will cease
when He restores this missing piece.

He’ll turn to joy my every tear
and when I wear this necklace near
it will become my simple way
to treasure our Reunion Day.

I have the necklace now that my momma used to wear. My sisters decided it should go to me since it was about my daddy. Soon after the death of my momma, I went on-line and found a place to order the necklace and bought one for both of my sisters. It just seemed so fitting. So if you ever see me with a simple looking necklace that has a heart with a tear drop missing from it, you'll understand that even though the necklace is not an expensive piece of jewelry, the value that necklace has to me is worth more than all the money in the world. I miss you momma, everyday.... I love you...MORE

No comments: